Recently you may have undergone a treatment in which a tiny amount of a muscle relaxing protein has been injected into muscles to improve appearance. lt will usually take between 3 and 10 days to start to see any muscle relaxing effect and 1 4 days until the full effect has been reached.
What’s normal after a procedure?
lnjections can cause small amounts of swelling, a temporary bump, redness, bruising, a mild to moderate headache, and sensations such as tingling or mild itching after the treatments. These effects are so common they can be considered a normal part of the process.
The initial effects will show in the first 2-5 days. Peak effect on the muscle is at I4 days, but the result will continue to improve for 4 weeks or more. The benefits start to wear off after 3-4 months on average.
How to Protect Your Result & Reduce Side Effects
-Remain upright for 2 hours.
-Try to exercise your treated muscles for the first hour after treatment (e.g. practice frowning, raising your eyebrows or squinting). This helps to work the treatment into your muscles. Although this may help your procedure outcome, it will NOT impact your treatment negatively if you forget to do this
-When cleansing, avoid pressure and use gentle strokes away from the eyes.
-Avoid facial massages or electrical stimulation of the face for the next 2 weeks.
-Avoid wearing tight caps or garments in the area that has been injected.
-Avoid alcohol and exposure to UV and extreme heat i.e. sauna, steam, sun beds, very hot showers,
strenuous exercise etc.
-Please be aware that some, though very few patients, experience a mild headache. You may take Tylenol to help with this for pain relief.
-Be assured that tiny bumps or marks will go away within a few hours after your treatment. There is a small risk of bruising. If this occurs, do not worry since it will only be temporary and can easily be covered up with makeup. Any little bit of bruising may last up to one week.
Reduce the Chance of lnfection:
– Do not apply make-up for approximately 6 hours unless it is mineral based.
-Wash your hands immediately post procedure.
– Do not touch your face in the areas injected for 6 hours.
-lf you develop a side effect, such as a dry eye, droopy eyelid, heavy brow.
-Any other side effects you think are important.
-lf you feel distressed or worried in any way.
-Routine adjustments can be carried out from day 14 after your procedure.
- Sun exposure and/or usage of tanning beds, including self tanning products must be avoided for a minimum of 24 hours before and after treatment, preferably 1 week. Treatment within 24 hours of prolonged sun exposure (natural sunlight, artificial tanning booth, or sunless tanning products) may result in hypopigmentation (white spots) or hyperpigmentation ( dark spots) that may not clear for several months or may even be permanent. AquaGold will not be administered on sunburned skin.
- Area to be treated must be clean. And free of any lotion, make up, and sunscreen. If you have any of these on. They must be completely washed off prior to treatment.
- No area to be treated should receive any type of Chemical Peel for 2 weeks prior and post treatment.
- Retin-A, Renova and Tazorac must not be used for 1 week prior and post treatment.
- Waxing and/or use of Chemical depilatories must be avoided for 2 weeks prior and post treatment. Shaving is allowed immediately before treatment and 48-72 hours post treatment as long as there is no skin irritation.
- You may not be pregnant for this treatment.
- Notify your provider of any tattoos, including cosmetic tattooing, in the vicinity of the area to be treated as tattoos need to be avoided.
- If you have a history of cold sores, we may recommend prophylactic antiviral therapy in the form of Valtrex or Aycylovir. If so, follow the directions on your prescription.
- During the course of your treatment(s), notify our staff of any changes to your medical history, health status, or personal activities that may be relevant to your treatment.
- A sunburn-like effect is normal for 1 day. The treated area may appear pink in color, but will resolve in a day or so. The skin may feel tight, dry, swollen and sensitive to the touch.
- After Care Products and Regimen: Do not wash your face for the first 6 hours. Wash the treated area gently with a gentle cleanser and you may apply your routine skin moisturizer thereafter. You may resume your daily regimen the next day.
- Sun exposure must be avoided for at least 24 hours after your treatment, preferably 1-2 weeks. If you know you will get incidental sun exposure, i.e. driving, walking, ect, we recommend physical avoidance of the sun in all treated areas, a protective hat and a full spectrum sun block of SPF 30 or higher.
- Do not use exfoliating medications, chemicals, or products on the treated areas for at least 2 weeks.
- No exercise that causes sweating, Jacuzzi, sauna, or steam baths if any skin irritation exists.
- Sleep on your back with your head elevated slightly to reduce swelling.
- It is recommended that makeup should not be applied for 6 hours after the procedure.
- For best results and efficacy, we recommend maintenance treatments every 3-4 months. You may notice immediate results.
Filler will not be given within 3 weeks of COVID vaccine. Please plan accordingly.
Try to avoid Aspirin, NSAIDs, Fish Oil, and Alcohol for 48 hrs prior to your appointment. This will help reduce the possibility of bruising.
Please do not schedule any dental work (including cleanings) for 2 weeks before, and 2 weeks after filler. If you have, please give us a call so we can reschedule your appointment.
What is normal after getting filler?
Due to the anaesthetic in the gel, you may feel numbness or tingling immediately after the procedure, and have some moderate swelling, redness, bruising and tenderness overareas treated. Some people experience a dull ache, and tenderness over the treated areas which subsides between 48-72hours. Mild,non-painful swelling can last for up to 2 weeks. Bruisingisusuallyvisibleinitially, then more obvious the next day before fading over 7 to 14 days. A small minority of bruises can last for 4-6 weeks
How to protect your result & reduce side effects:
-For 48 hours you should avoid exposure to UV light and heat i.e. sauna, steam, sun beds, hot showers, strenuous exercise etc, as this may increase discomfort and swelling.
-Keep the area cool with a cold compress, but don’t apply ice which can cause injury.
-Try to avoid unnecessary pressure over any areas treated, especially in the first24 hours.
-Avoid facial massages or skin resurfacing untll the area has healed fully.
Reduce the chance of infection:
Reduce the risk of infection and reaction by not touching the area for 6 hours.
Do not apply make-up over injection points until the day after the procedure.
When to contact us:
Serious complications are rare, but it’s vitalyou seek urgent review if anythlng like this occurs:
-Swelling, puffiness or lumpiness which does not fade in the first week with a gentle massage.
-The filler changes texture and becomes hard, nodular or lumpy, especially if there is redness or tenderness after 48 hours. All these symptoms may indicate a need for medical assistance from your clinician or family doctor if you are unable to see us, but please contact us so we can advise.
IMPORTANT: Contact us if you have the following:
lf you develop increasing pain near or above the site of injection which is getting worse over time, especially if associated with a pale area of skin indicating a lack of blood flow you should contact us straight away. ln rare cases, an urgent reversal or other medical interventions may be required immediately to prevent scarring. lf we are unreachable attendance at accident and emergency is advised. Make contact with us soon as possible so we can advise other clinicians to help them.
Laser Hair Removal Pre-Treatment
Please notify us if you have been on any antibiotics in the past 10 days. We will most likely need to reschedule your appointment as we can not treat.
We also can not treat if the treatment area has any color from the sun. This includes color from self tanners and lotions. Please be aware and if you do, call to reschedule.
We ask that you shave treatment area day of the appointment. We can not shave it for you.
Laser Hair Removal Post-Treatment
Red bumps are common and nothing to be alarmed at. They usually go away with in the hour.
Please be extra causious in the sun after treatment. You will be more prone to Sunburn and Hyperpigmentation.
PDO Threads Pre- Treatment Instructions
Threads will not be given within 6 weeks of COVID vaccine. Please plan accordingly.
✓ Aspirin, Vitamin E – avoid for 10 days.
✓ NSAIDS nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs – avoid for 7 days.
✓ Alcohol – avoid 3 days prior to procedure.
✓ Please arrive with a ‘clean face’ – no makeup!
• Immune system diseases.
• Pregnancy. • Coagulation diseases.
• Cutaneous Neurofibromatosis.
• Various acute infectious diseases. (i.e., Influenza, etc.)
• Inflammation of the skin in areas to be treated.
• A non-absorbable implant (Silicone) in the zone of thread insertion.
• Oncology (Chemotherapy).
• Tendency toward Keloid Scarring.
• Bleeding Disorders and some diseases of the blood.
• Neurotic Psychological Disorders.
PDO Threads Post- Treatment Instructions
• Effects should be noticeable immediately after treatment. However, maximum effect will occur in 4-6weeks.
• Bruising and swelling is normal and expected. If bruising is visible you can take oral Arnica or apply topical Arnica gel or Cearna Arnica patches to areas that are discolored.
• Asymmetry and irregularity of the tissue are common and will typically resolve in 1-2 weeks.
• Pain at the insertion points is normal and may last several days after treatment. Please consult your provider for any pain beyond 2 weeks.
• Excessive movement or animation of the area injected for 2 weeks.
• Massage or manipulation of the tissue for 2 weeks.
• Aesthetic treatments including RF, IPL, Laser, or microneedling for 4 weeks.
• Strenuous exercise for 1 week after facial treatments and for 2 weeks after body treatments. No deep squats for one month if you have had any threads injected into the buttocks area.
• Steam rooms, saunas, hot tubs, or any water source that could be unclean or excessive in temperature for 2 weeks.
• Taking Ibuprofen for 2 weeks. Acetaminophen may be taken instead, if needed.
WHEN TO CALL:
• If any of the threads are exposed or start to extrude.
• If you develop a reddened, hard, painful nodule over one or more of the threads.
• If you experience increased redness, swelling, or pain at the insertion site.
• Irregularity or visible ridges (buckling) of threads (2 weeks post-treatment).
• If you have any questions regarding your treatment.
Please Note: To increase the rate of healing time and decrease swelling and bruising, your provider may encourage you to take oral antihistamines (Zyrtec, Benadryl) and histamine blockers (Zantac, Prilosec, Tagamet)
Pixel-8 Pre-Treatment Instructions
- Reveal any medical conditions such as pregnancy, cold sore and fever blister tendencies, any type of allergy, recent facial peels or surgery, and all current medications (including both prescriptions and over-the-counter products) such as Accutane, tetracycline, hormone replacement therapy, or use of Retin-A.
- The patient must quit taking Accutane for 6 months prior to having a PiXel8-RF micro-needing treatment
- DO NOT perform a PiXel8-RF Micro-needling treatment on a patient if he/she has an electronic implant (Insulin pump, pacemaker, LVAD, etc)
- Do not use self-tanning lotions or tanning booths two weeks prior to your PiXel8- RF treatment. Do not sunbathe two weeks prior to your appointment.
- Do not use any irritating skin care products such as Retin-A or OBAGI for one week prior to treatment.
- Avoid taking NSAIDs such as Advil, Motrin, Aleve, aspirin for 1 week prior to scheduled procedure.
- Areas of dental crowns, caps, braces, or other metal dental implants may be more sensitive to the treatment and the clinician may use gauze or a tongue depressor to isolate the area to make the treatment more comfortable.
Pixel8 Post Treatment Instructions
- A certain degree of discomfort, redness, and/or irritation during and after treatment is expected. If any discomfort or irritation persists more than 24-hours, please notify the treatment facility.
- Tiny scabs (of less than 1 mm in diameter) may form 24-72 hours post treatment and may remain for several days. The scabs should not be touched or scratched (even if they itch) and should be allowed to shed naturally.
- During the first two (2) days following treatment, care should be taken to prevent trauma to the treated site: avoid hot baths, massage, irritating skin care products or exfoliants, etc. The skin should be kept clean to avoid contamination or infection; any mechanical or thermal damage to the area must be avoided.
- For burning sensation, spritz the treatment area with a diluted vinegar solution (1 tsp white vinegar per 8 ounces water)
- It is important to keep your skin moisturized after the treatment.
- You may have mild swelling for 1-3 days after your treatment. Patients may apply an icepack (NOT direct ice) to the irritated area for 1-2 days in approximately 15- minute sessions 3-4 times per day.
- Redness for 1-3 days is common. After 12-hours post procedure, the patient may apply a hydrocortisone cream 3-4 times per day to reduce redness.
- Makeup can be applied 12 hours after treatment.
- Avoid prolonged sun exposure or use of tanning bed for at least two weeks after the treatment, as the skin that was treated will be more sensitive to the sun after your Sublative treatment.
- Use a minimum of SPF 30 daily to protect your skin after your treatment.
Sculptra Pre- Treatment Instructions
Avoid the use of Aspirin, NSAIDS, Ginko Biloba, Garlic Supplements, Green Tea, Flax
Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamins A and E, and essential fatty acids for up to 1 week pre and
post injection as they will increase your risk of bruising.
– Do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours before (or after) your treatment to avoid extra
– You may take Arnica tablets 2-3 days prior to your injection to reduce the risk of bruising
– Do not apply products that are potentially irritating for 2 -3 days before and after
treatment (examples- tretinoin/retin-a, glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, hydroquinone)
– Inform your provider if you have a history of cold sores to receive advice on antiviral
therapy prior to treatment
– Do not use the above stated if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or are allergic to any of
its ingredients. Please inform your provider if you have any questions about this prior to
Day of Treatment
– Arrive with a clean face. Please do not wear makeup.
– You may experience a mild amount of tenderness or stinging during and following
– Redness and swelling are normal. Some bruising may also be visible
Sculptra Post-Treatment Instructions
You have just completed a treatment using a Collagen Stimulating product called Sculptra. You are advised to follow the instructions below to ensure the best result from your treatment.
Please note that Sculptra is a powder which must be reconstituted and suspended in sterile water
before injecting it into the skin. Therefore it is important to remember that immediately after your
treatment; you will feel full in the areas treated which is a direct effect from the water injected into
those areas. This fullness will completely disappear over several hours once the treatment is
completed and the areas treated will then look exactly the same as they did prior to having the
treatment. Collagen stimulation will naturally start to occur approximately 8-12 weeks after the
treatment and will reach a peak within the first 6 months. Please do not equate the lack of immediate
result with a treatment failure – the results are delayed and will be slowly increasing over time.
• During the first 24–48 hours after treatment you may experience redness, swelling and tenderness
in the treated areas. These reactions are normal and resolve quickly and spontaneously over the
next 2-4 days. You may apply light water-based or mineral makeup where necessary.
• Bruising at the site of injection is also possible and clears completely in 1-10 days.
• Swelling and bruising can give the appearance of ‘unevenness’ in the area treated. This will settle
once the swelling and bruising has gone.
• Avoid alcohol, caffeine, hot drinks and spicy food for 24 hours, as these may exacerbate bruising
• Avoid medications such as aspirin or nurofen for 1-2 weeks as they are blood thinning agents and
they may exacerbate bruising (if these medications have been advised by your GP please check with
your GP before stopping them).
• Avoid supplements such as multivitamins, fish oils, glucosamine and Vitamin B or Vitamin E for 1-2
weeks, as they are blood thinning agents and may exacerbate bruising (if these supplements have been
advised by your GP please check with your GP before stopping them).
• Avoid exercise or excessive exertion for 24 hours
• Avoid excess sun exposure, solarium or sauna use for 24 hours
• Avoid using any creams, lotions or gels that contain active ingredients such as Glycolic Acid, Vitamin A
or C, Salicylic Acid etc and avoid using soaps and perfumes on the area for 24 hours.
• Drink plenty of water for 2-3 days after the procedure as this will help promote the collagen
stimulating effects of the treatment.
• Apply cold compresses as required to the area injected for up to 6 hours after the treatment. This
will prevent or help to alleviate any bruising. It will also help to reduce any swelling. Do not apply ice
as this will suppress the effect of the collagen stimulators. If there is no excessive swelling or bruising
in the area treated avoid applying cold compresses but drink only COLD drinksfor 24 hours.
• You can use Arnica (or Hirudoid) cream and/or arnica pulvules (available from the clinic or local
chemist and also available in your aftercare pack) to help alleviate any bruising. NOTE: bruising can
last 1-10 days. They are TEMPORARY and will completely disappear over time with no effect on
your treatment. Once bruising has formed (within the first 48 hours) it is better to apply warmth to
the area to encourage the body’s natural reabsorption of the bruise away from the skin.
• If you have suffered in the past with cold sores on the skin or lips, please advise your cosmetic
practitioner prior to treatment, as this viral infection may be re-activated by some injectable
treatments. You can take L-lysine daily (available from the chemist or health store) for 2-3 days
prior to and after your treatment if necessary. If cold sores develop, you may also wish to take a
more effective medical treatment such as Famvir or Valtrex . Please contact
your GP orthe clinic for a prescription. Please see our FAQ sheet on “COLD SORES” for more advice.
• Firmly massage the entire area 3 x daily for 10 minutes for 10 days or 5 x daily for 5 minutes for 5
days with your fingers and a greasy moisturizer or Arnica cream. Small rice grain sized collections of
collagen can occasionally be felt after 3-6 months as the collagen stimulating effect of this treatment
reaches a peak. Very rarely larger collections of collagen can be felt but not seen and these will
generally be reabsorbed and reduced over a 3-4 month period.
• If you suffer any allergic responses, prolonged generalised symptoms or if any lumps/unevenness
persists after 5-7 days, please contact your cosmetic practitionerfor advice.
• If you feel that further enhancement of an area is required, please contact your cosmetic
practitioner for a follow-up appointment or advice as to when a further treatment can be
carried out. Please note that all further additional treatments and product used will be charged
Pre Peel Instructions:
5-7 Days Prior to having our peel done
– Topical Retinoids
-Other topical acids
3-5 Days Prior to having our peel done
-Laser Hair Removal
-Chemical Hair Removal Creams
Post Peel Instructions
(Until the skin is fully healed and in tact)
-Non mineral based makeup products
-ALL AHA’s, BHA’S and RETINOL for 7 days
-Laser hair removal, waxing, sunbeds,
swimming and sauna’s for 7 days.
AFTER YOUR EPIRESET PEEL TREATMENT: It is crucial to the health of your skin and success of your peel that these guidelines be followed:
1. Your skin may have a light yellow tinge immediately after removal of the EpiReset 1 Masque. This is temporary and will fade in a few hours.
2. It is imperative that you use a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 and avoid direct sunlight for at least 1 week. Best results will be obtained with regular daily use of such sunscreen.
3. Patients with hypersensitivity to the sun should take extra precautions to guard against exposure immediately following the procedure as their skin may be more sensitive.
4. Your skin may be more red than usual after removal of the EpiReset Masque and for the next 4 days as you apply the Post Peel Conditioning Pads. Please avoid strenuous exercise during this time.
5. Approximately 48 hours after the treatment, your skin will start to peel. This peeling will generally last 2 to 5 days. DO NOT PICK OR PULL THE SKIN.
6. When washing your face, do not scrub, do not use a wash cloth. Use the Gentle Foaming Cleanser provided.
7. Apply the Post Care Protectant as directed and as needed to relieve dryness, tightness and itching. 8. Wait until the peeling is complete before having ANY OTHER FACIAL PROCEDURES, INCLUDING: • Facials • Microdermabrasion • Laser treatments • Laser hair removal • BOTOX injections • Injectable fillers
ADVERSE EXPERIENCES THAT MAY OCCUR AFTER YOUR PEEL: It is common and expected that your skin will be red and possibly itchy and/or irritated. It is also possible that other adverse experiences (side effects) may occur. Although rare, the following adverse experiences have been reported by patients after having a EpiReset Peel Treatment: skin breakout or acne, rash, dark spots, swelling and burning.
Coolsculpting Treatment Instructions:
Arrive in comfy clothing. We recommend yoga type pants, especially if treating the abdomen. The room does have Netflix, but you are welcome to bring a book to pass the time. Do try and use the restroom before, as you will be hooked up to the machine for 35-90 minutes at a time.
Temporary Sensations / Symptoms:
The following effects can happen frequently in the treatment area during and after a treatment. These effects are temporary and generally resolve within days or weeks.
• The suction pressure of a vacuum applicator may cause sensations of deep pulling, tugging, and pinching. A surface applicator may cause sensations of pressure. You may experience intense cold, stinging, tingling, aching or cramping as the treatment begins. These sensations generally lessen during treatment as the area becomes
These side effects can happen immediately after a treatment:
• The treated area may look or feel stiff after the procedure and transient blanching (temporary whitening of the skin) may happen.
• Bruising, redness, firmness, cramping, tingling, and stinging may happen.
These side effects can happen one to two weeks after a treatment:
• You may feel numbness in the treated area that can last for several weeks after the procedure. Prolonged redness, swelling, itching, tingling, numbness, tenderness to the touch, pain in the treated area, cramping, aching, bruising, and/or skin sensitivity have also been reported. Compression garmets may help.
• If you treated the submental area ( area under the chin or jawline) You may have a feeling of fullness in the back of the throat.
These other side effects can happen within one to two weeks after submental (under the chin) and submandibular (under the jawline) area treatments:
• Cold exposure to a nerve close to your tongue called the hypoglossal nerve may cause tongue deviation (turning).
• Cold exposure to a nerve in the face called the marginal mandibular nerve may cause lower lip weakness.
• Cold exposure to a gland below the jaw called the submandibular gland may cause dry mouth or a decrease in saliva production in your mouth.
If at any point you are in intense pain, contact the office immediatly.